Greeting, not only IIIT-H, it’s a trend every where. If you know a person by face then its your moral duty to say ‘hi’ , smile or at least nod when you see him passing by. You don’t know their name, even some time you can’t even recall how do u know them, but you raise your hand whenever they enter your premise. Now it’s totally your choice how you do it. I have tried to list a rough classification of ways people follow the custom.
Based on Body language
- Noddy-nod:- Guys belonging to this category believe in minimum waste of energy, a little jerk to neck is enough.
- Bow-Eyebow:- Just raise you eye bows a bit, and leave every thing on the other person to interpreter. Some time mixed with microscopic upward movement of head, or with only one eye bow (quality of perfectionists).
- Raise-thy-hand:- this category contains jubilant human beings, meeting some one on road is like a celebration time for them. Last two fingers bent, middle and index raised and thumb pointing towards their face carrying a big smile.
- Halt-hand:- A bit confused, usually geeky by nature, such mortals usually don’t initiate the hi hello exchange. But when disturbed, just raise their hand like the Congress election sign, forcing they lips to stretch.
- Heavy-hand:- Well these beings have so much in their mind that raising their hand or jerking their head will lead their thought to spilt out of the ears. Keeping hand down rising fingers towards the other guy, they continue talking with themselves or the person beside them.
Based on Lip Movement
- Speechless:- These guys makes other feel that they need to see an ear specialist. They move their lips but word don’t leave the mouth.
- Short-speech :- This is the most common of all, Hii, Hello, Hey etc … one word save time, is their policy.
- Questy-rusty:- This category consists of people who, don’t want to be a short-speech. So, their vocabulary contains “Hey, how r ya” , ”aur kaisa hai” “Kya haal “ etc … but usually avoid waiting for the answer.
- Think-o-something:- Whenever they see some one walking towards their side, their mind starts thinking of some thing they can ask them. Their reason is, they don’t want to be orthodox, out of the sheep heard (quality of BC lovers).
There are people who try their level best to avoid the tradition, they have come up with various techniques for that…
- Wht-a-road:- you must have seen many people walking with their head down, pretending they are thinking some thing, but the truth is they are avoiding looking towards the people passing by.
- Enviro-mental-ist:- They look at every useful and useless stuff around except the people passing by. This guy is like the last man on earth and only thing he can see is the non-human.
- Wont-look-at-you:- These guys are the smartest of all, they are very normal till they see some one known. They keep their eye focused on some thing other than the person, till he is out of site.
So the key to stay clear off is don’t make eye contact.
Why do people do that?
Simple reason, to save themselves from the embarrassment of some one not responding to their greetings.
OR they are just not social.
OR aliens, unaware of earthling’s ways.
OR it’s Scott(Cyclops) (from X-men) without his glasses on.
Well traditions are part of the culture and culture is part of the social life and social life was a pretty boring subject (never got an ‘A’).
Conclusion of this boring discussion is, actually I don’t have a conclusion … if you have then … you know what to do … :D.
PS: – Into to Biology – Should have opted to jump from the sports village building then opting for this subject.
PS: — Dus kahanniyan – awesome songs, ok movie.
PS: — Home – yeh baby!! Here I come.
PS: —- Mid Sems – Why god why?
PS: —– End of Post – Tada …. Pota no longer in rule.